Monday, May 5, 2008

Caspian

This band came to Salt Lake City a year ago. A band some friends of mine play in opened for them. It was in a small record store here in SLC called Slowtrain. I brought my three year old son because I knew my friend's band was pretty laid back and Ethan, my son is obssesed with drums and keyboards. I knew he was sure to love watching. It turns out he was really into it all even to the point that he was trying to run up and pound on the drums and keyboards while my friends were playing them.

It came time for Caspian's set. They stood up before us all and the first thing they did was look at my son and say "we get pretty loud" my son and I smilled and stepped back a couple steps. The ethereal rocking rythum started. I thought to myself, "ehhh they aren't that loud". The music began to slowly almost imperceptibly crescendo. We took a couple more steps back. The volume increased, I felt my chest wibrating, we slipped to the front of the store as far away from the band as possible. By the end of the song we were standing outside on the sidewalk watching the steamed up windows of the store vibrate as passers by stared in amazement and asked what was going on inside. I was impressed by this performance, so powerful, so clear despite so much volume. Not listening to it live just simply can't do it justice but here it is nonetheless... Further In

1 comment:

Bart said...

that's pretty cool that you took ethan! he'll probably start asking for a guitar soon (or casio). did his ears start bleeding? ;)

i've been enjoying this series of highlights of yours. i've moved away from this sound a bit, but for the longest time, i felt this was music at its purest. vocals just muddied everything up. spoken word barely made the cut (as in the case of slint). one of these days i'll highlight some of the groups of the 90's.

anyway, cool stuff, man. have a great weekend!