Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes self-titled debut album Fleet Foxes was released last Thursday on SubPop records. Following quickly on the heels of their ep Sun Giant, Fleet Foxes is to me, a more solid and fluid album than the ep. Now don't get me wrong, you should be on your way to owning both as soon as possible, but the ep sounds like a pre-release set of b-sides that for the most part wouldn't make sense on the album.

I was already planning a trip to Victoria last weekend, and anticipating the drive along the edge of Olympic National Forest I wanted to get the album for the roadtrip. The mood of the album was fitting as the skies darkened and the rain fell along the 101, deep woods to the left, the frigid Puget Sound to the right, which Fleet Foxes call home. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect atmosphere and another passenger mentioned the same thing.

I'm not very good at being critical of a band in words. My endorsement to you comes in the mere fact that I am taking the time to tell you about them. I can tell you it's been the only cd I've been playing since I picked it up last Thursday.

Folksy? A touch of classic rock? New Hippies? Dunno. Get yourself over to their myspace for a sample. Both releases are on vinyl for those of you who collect, but I believe the ep is only available in vinyl when you buy the album (combo pack). Check it out on SubPop's store.

What say you? Anyone else heard the mellow sounds of Fleet Foxes?

ps. Here is me bragging: I swear I should be a talent scout for SubPop. Twice now I've raved to friends about a band that was eventually picked up by SubPop, the first being Band of Horses.

9 in 10

3 comments:

sterfryiv said...

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Bart said...

man, this is a great album! i just listened to it on rhapsody... will definitely have to add it to my road-trip playlist.

Anna said...

jake - i wanted you to know that with your strong recommendation, i promptly ordered this album on amazon and have been enjoying it ever since. it is my favorite album of the summer. it is exactly what i have been craving for some time. i also bought the band of horses album, and next on my list: the little ones. keep it comin'!