Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Uprising of Post-Punk

Call it Post-Punk, Math Rock, Instrumental Wierd Stuff, Etc... It seems I have been listening to a lot of music lately with the same theme to it. No vocals, influenced by the punk and hardcore scenes of the late 80's and 90's, but not in the way you might think, (I find several members of these bands were into this music as youths but don't necesarily play that type of music, although if you are an aficionado you can notice the influence in their songs) and finally to borrow a description pioneered by the Pixie's, the term Loud soft Loud seems to fit.

This is post one of a four week series.

I present: You.May.Die.In.The.Desert

These guys are a three-piece plus sound effects from Seattle, WA. I really should have done this post when I first thought about it a month ago as they were on a west coast tour and just played Portland and Salt Lake City (where I was able to see them)

YMDITD is trance enducing to listen to. Their rhythms are complex and profound. They are also pure enegry on stage. They shift their instruments and contort their backs trying to relieve the fatigue caused by intricate repetitive strumming and picking.

Here is my favorite track from a new Split they just put out with the band I will profile next week. Over and out for now...Clark

04 Seagulls= Sea Eagles

1 comment:

Bart said...

clark!!! i've never heard of these guys- thanks for the great post. great song! reminds me of explosions in the sky. i'll have to look around and see if they have any upcoming seattle shows.

hope you don't mind me throwin in the mp3 player at top.

word. say hi to the fam. give ethan a hi-five.