Saturday, January 10, 2009

Top 10 and a Half of 2008: Part II



Did you like my little (?) at the end of the last post when I said that Part II would be up at the end of the following week? As the French say, "On n'apprend pas aux vieux singes à faire des grimaces," (or is it, "Il vaut mieux faire que dire"?... I can't remember...I don't speak French).

Not sure how many folks listened to the playlist for Part I, but the songs can still be listened to. Just click on the song titles and hey presto!

So, I guess Radiohead's In Rainbows is being considered a 2008 release. Not in my books- the pay-as-you-may in October 2007 got it listed in my top-10 last year. (Just in case anybody was wondering...).

While I'm at it- I'm not doing an honorable mention list. But I also enjoyed releases by Women, Dr. Dog, and Cut Copy.

(Once again- Spencer's post is up now, but you can still listen to the songs below- click (right click even!.... save as....or don't....) on the hyperlink for the song titles. Word).


#5 Beck: Modern Guilt (Orphans)



Ok, so I'm a little biased when it comes to Beck. From the second I finished listening to Mellow Gold back in the summer of 1994, my fate was sealed. I'm a Mellow Gold/One Foot In The Grave/Mutations Beck man and though there isn't an album I don't like, there are elements of his musical schizophrenia that I'm more partial to. Beck has mostly played it safe (predictable?) since Midnight Vultures, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but maybe the early comparisons with David Bowie aren't that far off (look at Bowie's plateau (decline?) in the 80's/90's). This album reminds me of Radiohead's In Rainbows (except for the part where Nigel Godrich is substituted with Dangermouse). There may not be another Odelay or Mellow Gold (or Ok Computer/Kid A for RH) up his sleeves, but the man is still one heck of a song-smithey. With Dylan-esque cover art, you might think of a return to One Foot in the Grave, or even a little Mutations, but this 'aint no Highway 61 Revisited. I love the reverb-saturation on this album. I love the quick and lean run-time, each song charging into the next- it crackles and drives. The album starts out strong starting out with a quartet of gems, "Orphans", "Gamma Ray", "Chemtrails", and "Modern Guilt". It meanders a bit in the middle, but ends of on a strong note with "Profanity Prayers" and the exquisite "Volcano." Chekkit.


#4 Jeff Hanson: Madam Owl (Night)



I usually try to stay in touch with the latest and greatest coming out of my two favorite hometown record labels, K Records and Kill Rock Stars, but Jeff Hanson had flown under my radar until this year when Jacob highlighted him in September after the release of Madam Owl. (Click on the hotlink for his review). Shortly after that me and Ann went to go see him perform at Chop Suey here in Seattle. (I don't know, but seeing him live before ever hearing one of his recordings minimized the wierd-out factor with his falsetto). Great music- great show, great album.


#3 Islands: Arm's Way (Creeper)


The Unicorns died young. I love Islands, but feel we were cheated out of a 3 or 4 album string before the untimely self-destruction and rebirth (the jettison of Alden Penner and now Jamie Thompson after the first Islands album). I love the shoestring budget feel to Who will cut our hair when we're gone? and was initially turned off by the bigger-production bombast of Island's debut Return to the Sea. I've grown quite fond of that album, but there are still things that don't work for me ("Where there's a will, there's a whalebone" not being one of them, surprisingly). Arm's Way fully realizes the vision of that album and then some. In some ways it reminds me of Built to Spill's Perfect from now on- Doug Martsch and Co. took their newfound major label debut cash and created an utterly brilliant opus, throwing convention and caution to the wind (radio-friendly song lengths be damned). Islands' latest feels equally inspired. I love it so. Songs like "Creeper," "Pieces of You," and "J'aime Vous Voir Quitter" are immediately accessible, jumping to the top of your repeat list, but "In the Rushes" (7 min.) and "Vertigo" (11 min!!) become cooler and cooler with each listen. (Look out for a little Who-lovin).

#2 Fleet Foxes (self titled LP) (White Winter Hymnal)


Jakob did another nice review of this album over the summer. I first read the pitchfork review, then Jake's, then a couple songs into the album (streaming on Rhapsody), I made a quick iTunes purchase.

Holy mackerel.

The music alone could have never convinced me that these guys are from Seattle (Lake Washington High School, represent!), let alone anywhere beneath the often gray skies of the pacific northwest (I could maybe see a little N. Cali...). From the soaring harmonies on the opening track, "Sun it Rises" to the intimate closing, "Oliver James," they could hardly have crafted a more perfect album. Put on some headphones, close your eyes, and say sayonara to the next couple of hours (days, weeks...) Phil Ek (Built to Spill again!!) produced this and their first two releases (both EPs). Exquisitely beautiful. I don't think I have a favorite track- sometimes I'm in the mood for "White Winter Hymnal", sometimes it's "Meadowlark"... sometimes it's "Blue Ridge Mountains (elements of that song remind me a little of the soundtrack for Spirited Away by Miyazaki...). If you haven't heard this album yet, you'll regret every day that you procrastinated. Hop to it.... hop to it.

#1 Department of Eagles: In Ear Park (Balmy Night)


Ok, so Fleet Foxes and DoE duked it out for a couple of weeks in my iPod for the #1 spot. Fleet Foxes kept their edge most of the time because they're local boys (yeah, there's a little conflict of interest...). Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty close- I would even go as far as to call Fleet Foxes co-best album, but nobody likes wishy-washy. When I originally reviewed this back in November, I gushed all over the place about it. I'm not sure how much more I can add besides that it's never grown old. I still sometimes listen to it a couple times a day when I can. Back when Arcade Fire's Funeral came out, it was on repeat so long it practically melded with my CD player. After a month or two, I started to get scared that maybe I'd get sick of it (like I'd once done with Grandaddy's Sophtware Slump). Never happened. I don't see that happening here either.

It's all about Re-Listenability. Not that there's anything wrong with Fleet Foxes instant listenability, but the most rewarding albums are those that continue to unfold and surprise with each spin. "No One Does it Like You" first grabbed my attention, but I quickly fell in love with "Around the Bay" and the title track. Later- "Phantom Other," "Fields of Rye" (!!!). Yeah, I still listen from start to finish, but sometimes when I'm driving around I'll listen over and over again to the last three tracks- "Therapy Car Noise", "Floating on the Lehigh", and "Balmy Night" (the final track on the MixTape). Ach, Balmy Night. If I weren't quickly tiring of writing this entry, I'd bore you all with an ode to each. Seriously, though, don't tempt me.

Definitely one of my favorite albums in years. I'm sure I'll get all giddy and what-not when their next album comes out, but in the meantime I'm more than satisfied with this awesome-tastic LP.


Word to your moms. Thank you, 2008. Here's to 2009!!!

5 comments:

Spencer said...

Nice list Bart! I'm especially glad you gave some love to Arm's Way, 2008's most underrated album in my opinion. I just got the two Deerhunter albums and I've got to say that they're pretty dang good; I can't amend my top ten list now, but were I to do so Deerhunter might find its way on.

Sean said...

Great reviews. I haven't hear Becks new album, but I disagree. I am not seeing a digression of his talents like our friend in space David Bowie. All his albums are really great some are better. It is hard to say for Odelay. It had so much radio play. In fact I never got that album because I could hear it on the radio over and over. Guess that is my fault for listening to the radio too much -_-
Fleet Foxes are so great and such a departure from today's music. I can't think of better vocals.

Bart said...

Yeah, I agree with the greatness, and I guess each person only has so much creativity in them, but the last three albums (as awesome as they are) almost feel like variations on a theme. Again, not a bad thing, but it's the same with the last couple Radiohead albums. Bringing on producer Dangermouse was a great idea. Not that I dislike the 5th-Beatle-esque zen of Nigel Godrich, but DM's stylistic tweaks are the most refreshing change to this album. Just feels like he's reached a plateau, which maybe isn't such a bad thing.

Spencer!! Yeah, I had to show a little love for Islands. Just so you know, it was your most excellent review of the Unicorns that made me start listening to that album again (almost obsessively for a while there). Do you want to post your list(s)? I was thinking of posting Dave's for him, with his permission- not sure if he comes by the blog very often. Thought I'd cut and paste into the comments section.

But, by all means make a new post for yours, man. Bring on the battle of the top-10s!

Spencer said...

Bart,

I'll do a posting with my top ten, runners up, and even songs, if you're game. Look for it in a few days.

Bart said...

Word. Check out the post from December on playing music if you want to go that route.