Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dear in drunk Head likes: *%Hic*

Sept. 23 saw the anticipated release (by at least this fan) of Arizona rocker's Dear & the Headlight's sophomore album Drunk Like Bible Times. First off, weird title. I don't support it. Anyways, of the 3 albums I got last week this one is my favorite. I only picked up their first album last October but even up until a few weeks ago I was catching lyrics I hadn't noticed before. Singer Ian Metzger has this way of rattling on and on in his what some-may-need-to-adjust-to vocal style but I dig it, I dig it very much. It climbs unexpectedly up and over and all around like he's trying to always grasp air at the same time he wants to emphasis something.

Really, this follow up album feels like an extension of their debut but if I picked it up having not heard 2007's Small Steps, Heavy Hooves I would still seek out the other album. Again because of his singing style, I'll need some time to really digest the album. Last time there were things about the Thundercats and NES and on and on. Good times.

Musically I'm entertained, from the start of "I'm Not Crying. You're Not Crying, Are You?" whatever studio magic or effects hocus pocus they roll with creates a nice sound between my ears. Especially further down the track list with the songs "Now It's Over", "Parallel Lines" "If Not For My Glasses".

At home on Equal Vision records (one of my favorite labels), Dear & the Headlights is fun. Give a listen here

8 of 10 for knowing I'm gonna keep coming back to listen for more just like last time.

1 comment:

Bart said...

Jake, this link is down too.