Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joshua Radin: Simple Times

Well, I was looking forward to the new Joshua Radin album Simple Times, which weeks after the digital release, came out on CD Sept. 23rd. Sadly, I was disappointed. With a full set this time, he looses something from the first album, though I don't know what it is. Maybe you don't focus on his voice as much, or his guitar playing just isn't as interesting when complimented with your drums and other layers. He's gone from being a mostly solo act to the full band.

Highlight of the album is "Sky" with Meiko. However you'd be better off to buy his mini-ep that was released on iTunes a few months ago, it has this song but the duet plays better, the album version has Joshua singing through the entire song, and you lose the duality of him singing one experience, while Meiko sings another. Still, great song (plus the ep has another great song that didn't make it to the album but would have been tied for 1st best song by far). Opening song on the album "One of Those Days" is also good.

Terrible song of the album award goes to "Vegetable Car". Sorry, the word vegetable makes my list of words that should never be used in a song, at least he wasn't singing about emailing vegetables. I also hate songs that mention email.

When I saw him on tour last year he actually sounded great with band backing up his first album but sadly, simpler times are over. Joshua Radin's website has a few songs to listen to. Stick with the first album, ep, and handful of singles on Zach Braff movie soundtracks. Maybe next time.

5 of 10 for always having the best female accompaniments, not easy to impress me.

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

I am with you 1000% on the Vegetable Car song...whatever inspired him or his label to include that song could only have been related to something illegal.

I was really inspired by new music from Joshua when I heard all the songs for the first time. After having the CD for a month I am singing a different tune (like him). My favorites from the album are "No Envy No Fear", "One of Those Days" and "They Bring Me To You". I think that the problem with the new songs in addition to the fully synthesized sound, is that the same lines are repeated over and over! I also think he may have jumped the gun on sending out the Unclear Sky EP with all his good songs or the good version of the song. I guess I will wait another couple years for another try.

Hopefully his old companion and possible ex does not fall so flat with her upcoming full length CD!

Cassandra said...

I do like the cover though. :)

Jacob said...

I wouldn't play in a sandbox without knowing who had been there first...

yes, I think that's right, he does that line thing over and over.

Anonymous said...

You're crazy...this album is absolutely amazing and 100x better than his first one.

Jacob said...

Nah, not crazy, just know what I like and don't like. I'll admit there's still a good fighting chance for a few songs to grow on me yet. After all, various people told me to listen to him for months before I finally caught on.

But overall just too poppy for my taste. You got to admit some of them just sound like they were written to be in the next chick flick box office failure. Licensing is where it's at for a guy who doesn't turn the billboard tides, and his style does have a way with positively helping wrap up an episode of Scrubs.